Saturday, April 20, 2013

I am not a Thrifter.

Growing up, I never really went to thrift stores much. We lived in a small town- and when we went to the "city", we would occasionally stop at the local Salvation Army.
My mom would take my sister and I there while Dad took the boys to the gun stores.

And then I married into a family of Thrifters.
My mother in law Linda, and my sister in law Roxie, truly have a talent for it.
They can spend a whole day jumping from store to store, finding toys, shoes, purses and cute clothes.

Every time Roxie is home, we plan to have a Thrift store day. I tell myself-maybe this time I will be good at it and I will find something worth my trip.

It never works.
I do not have the patience to dig through racks and racks of jumbled up clothes.
Inevitably when I do find something that I MIGHT be interested in, its size super-duper-small-would-fit-a-7-year-old.
And the smell. oh the smell.
So, I skip over the clothes, and check out the shoes.
"Oh! here's a cute pair"-- cannot talk myself into putting them on.
WHO KNOWS whose foot has been in there! ew.
so I walk over to the kids clothes.
"Oh, this could be cute..."--STAIN.
"Oh! this...WHAT IS THIS?!"
ugh
So then I head to the books. I normally have some luck in the books.
(because you can never have too many books. especially children's books!!)
So after picking up a few books..
I browse the toys.
Sometimes I find something that is worth taking home and cleaning.
Just the other day I found Kendra a Magna Doodle that she LOVES.
like this one


And then I look over the furniture and the dishes and such.
Every once in a while I'll find something that I can put to use.

But I am not a Thrifter.
(turns out, I get that from my mom)
I wish that I was.
I wish I had the talent that Roxie and Linda do!
but I don't.
and I'm okay with that.
because they find the cute stuff for me.
and on our Thrift days, we have a great time. Filled with Sonic drinks, and lots of laughs.


Kendra enjoying Sonic on our latest Thrift Store Day.













No comments:

Post a Comment